Interior plant walls require supplemental lighting in order to thrive and be sustainable over time. We recommend a photometric light study prior to plant selection, as plant performance directly correlates to the lighting levels provided.
TheSystem distributes water throughout the wall in a closed system so no water escapes forward or behind the wall. Water is pumped to the top and flows from tray to tray to the bottom.
TheSystem offers standard wood trim across the top and down the sides with a removable base across the bottom, behind which the irrigation components are contained. Side and top trim may not be necessary in recessed framed wall conditions.
¾” / 2cm edge trim shown in all examples below, side / top trim can have a 2″ / 5cm return edge as well.
PLANT DESIGN PROCESS
In a typical construction scenario where a design group is invovled, GSky will work with the owner and design groups to take your design wishes and turn them into a beautiful plant design. GSky’s designers will work directly with the owner group to provide turnkey design/build solutions.
- Ongoing discussion with owners/architects about design intent for the space.
- Evaluate the site and environmental conditions for plant material.
- Formulate the plant design concept with suggested plants once the shop drawing signoff is obtained.
- Once design concept is finalized and approved the realistic install date is established so plants can be secured.
- Plants and materials are sent to the nursery who will plant it up into the final design to grow for the agreed upon time which depends on the time of year and region and plants desired.
A soft curvilinear design suggests movement and flow. Some contemporary designs are more rectilinear with clean lines. A mix of a few green plants can be used for a more muted background. Elements such as wood, stone, logos, TV monitors, glass, ect. can be incorporated into a green wall. Lastly, the four inch pots allow for quick, easy and inexpensive, seasonal change.
Long term plants that are proven to work well vertically for exterior environments which can handle outdoor lighting conditions while still being durable and attractive
These are used in smaller quantities to add more interest in color and texture. They may need to be replaced sooner than the core plants which is why they are used in smaller amounts and are covered under warranty.
With an adjusted maintenance fee colorful plants can be
integrated into the design with probable change out every 4-6
weeks depending on the plant.